Skip To Content
Carpentersville Logo


Top Pages

General Information

Fire Ambulance and EngineThe services provided by the Fire Department are divided into four main areas;

  • Fire Prevention
  • Emergency Medical Services
  • Public Education
  • Fire Suppression

Ambulance Fees

The ambulances that serve the residents and visitors of Carpentersville are funded in part by service fees. These fees are charged to anyone who uses an ambulance and is transported to an area hospital. If you are transported to the hospital, you will receive a bill. If you have insurance, contact the ambulance billing office at 800-244-2345 and provide us with your insurance information. We will bill the insurance company for you. If you do not have insurance, please pay your bill promptly or call the ambulance billing office to make payment arrangements. It is important that these fees are paid in a timely manner. The ambulance service fees are:

  • Resident - Basic Life Support: $850.00 plus mileage
  • Resident - Advanced Life Support I: $1,100.00 plus mileage
  • Resident - Advanced Life Support II: $1,375.0 plus mileage
  • Non-Resident - Basic Life Support: $1,275.00 plus mileage
  • Non-Resident - Advanced Life Support I: $1,650.00 plus mileage
  • Non-Resident - Advanced Life Support II: $2,100.00 plus mileage
  • Mileage: $16.00 per mile

Need a copy of a fire or ambulance report? Here's how...

To obtain a copy of your fire or ambulance report, contact the Carpentersville Fire Department Administrative Offices Monday-Friday 7:00 am - 4:00 pm at 847-426-2131. There is no charge for the report.

General advice if you think you have the flu:

If you are sick with the flu, you may be ill for a week or longer. Please stay home, except if you need medical care or other necessities, so you can get better and prevent others from getting ill. Drink plenty of fluids and rest as much as possible. Avoid travel. Do not go to work or school until at least 24 hours after your fever is gone. Your fever should be gone without the use of fever-reducing medicine like acetaminophen (Tylenol) and ibuprofen (Motrin), or antiviral medications. Healthcare workers need to stay home for at least 7 days after symptom onset. Wash your hands frequently with warm water and soap or use a hand sanitizer. Cover your coughs and sneezes with a tissue or the sleeve of your elbow.

In general, avoid contact with other people as much as possible to keep from spreading your illness, especially those with one of the high-risk chronic conditions listed below.

Who is at increased risk for flu complications?
Children younger than 5 years old - particularly children younger than 2 years old, adults 65 years of age or older and pregnant women.

Persons with chronic diseases of the lung (including asthma), heart (except hypertension), kidney, liver, blood (including sickle cell disease), brain or nervous system, muscles (particularly those that cause difficulty with swallowing), or metabolism (including diabetes mellitus); immunosuppressant (weakened immune system) including that caused by medications or by HIV.

Persons younger than 19 years of age who are receiving long-term aspirin therapy because of an increased risk for Reye syndrome.

What is influenza?
Influenza (also known as the flu) and influenza H1N1 are both influenza viruses that can cause mild to severe illness. Influenza usually comes on suddenly and typically includes fever and cough or sore throat. Other symptoms may include headache, extreme tiredness, runny or stuffy nose, or muscle aches. Nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea are other flu symptoms and are typically more common in children than adults.

Does everyone with the flu need to see a health care provide or get tested and treated?
Most children and adults with the flu who are generally in good health will recover without needing to visit a health care provider. Some people may want to call their health care provider for advice on how to care for the flu at home.

I think I have the flu. Can I get tested and treatment for H1N1 influenza or seasonal flu?
Testing and treatment is not needed or recommended for most children and adults who get the flu. Antiviral medication is not currently recommended except for people with the flu who are at higher risk for complications (see below) or have severe illness.

Who needs to call or visit a health care provider ?
Children and adults who are ill and at high risk for flu complications and people with more severe flu symptoms should call their regular health care provider or go to an urgent care clinic or emergency department if they cannot reach their health care provider. Whenever possible, call your health care provider to get advice on whether you need to be seen.

The best use of the emergency department is for individuals with symptoms of serious illness needing urgent attention; or ill individuals who are at increased risk for flu complications, and are unable to contact a health care provider.

When should I see a medical provider or go to an emergency room right away?

For children, emergency warning signs that need urgent medical attention include:

  • Fast breathing or trouble breathing
  • Bluish or gray skin color (call 911 immediately)
  • Not drinking enough fluids
  • Severe or persistent vomiting
  • Not waking up or not interacting
  • Being so irritable that the child does not want to be held
  • Flu-like symptoms improve but then return with fever and worse cough

For adults, emergency warning signs that need urgent medical attention include:

  • Difficulty breathing or shortness of breath
  • Pain or pressure in the chest or abdomen
  • Sudden dizziness
  • Confusion
  • Severe or persistent vomiting
  • Flu-like symptoms improve but then return with fever and worse cough

For additional information please visit the following websites:

Kane County Health Department

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention

Disposal of Compact Fluorescent Light (CFL) Bulbs

CFL bulbs contain small amounts of mercury, an essential ingredient for CFL bulbs to produce light. While the amount of mercury inside a CFL's glass tubing is only about 5 milligrams - roughly the amount that would cover the tip of a ballpoint pen - it is still essential to handle and recycle CFLs responsibly.

With another Smart Idea, ComEd has partnered with the Illinois Environmental Protection Agency (IEPA) and ACE Hardware to recycle CFLs. Just bring your used CFLs to any participating Ace Hardware store near you. ACE will then dispose of your used CFLs in EPA-approved recycling containers free of charge.

You can learn more about proper CFL disposal, or local facilities that will accept your bulbs, by visiting or calling 1-800-CLEAN-UP .

In addition, Home Depot has also launched a national in-store CFL recycling program, free at all its locations.

When to call 911; what you need to know

When you have a police/fire/medical emergency.

  • Provide the dispatcher the address you need help at.
  • Advise the dispatcher what you need, such as the fire or police department.
  • Give your name and the phone number you are calling from.

What to do after you call 911?

There are several things you can do until emergency responders arrive. These simple procedures will greatly aid the emergency responders and the patient they are treating:

  • If you determine that the patient is pulseless and non-breathing, begin cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR), but only if you have been trained in this life saving technique.
  • Stay calm: do not get excited. This will reassure the patient that help is on the way.
  • Make the patient as comfortable as possible.
  • Control whatever bleeding the you can (if the patient is bleeding).
  • Gather all the medication that the patient may be taking. This will help Emergency Responders better determine the medical history of the patient.
  • Move all furniture or obstacles out of the way so Emergency Responders have easy access to the patient. Make sure all pets are secured.
  • Remember the time, this is very important.
  • When was the last time you talked to the patient?
  • How long has the medical condition existed?
  • How long has the person been unconscious?

Village Warning Siren Testing

The Emergency Management warning sirens are tested in the Village of Carpentersville on the first Tuesday of each month between 9:45 and 10:00 am. The sirens are activated for one to two minute duration compared to an actual emergency when the siren will sound until the danger has passed. Please call the Fire Department at 847-426-2131 if you have any questions.

Odor Complaints in the Old Town Area

In an effort to assist in following up with odor complaints in the area of old town and the chemical plants, residents are to contact the Shift Commander at 847-344-7301 when the odor is noticed so a Fire Department representative can check the area and attempt to locate the source.

When calling in an odor complaint, provide the location where you smelled the odor, what the odor smelled like and weather conditions such as rain, fog, etc... Please include a callback phone number so you can be kept updated as to your complaint. If you are unable to call when you are detecting the odor, you can email your complaint .

Firefighter 9/11 Memorial

9-11 MemorialSide View of 9-11 Memorial

Watch the news coverage of the FireFighter 9/11 memorial as shown on ABC7

9/11 Memorial Dedication Program


Top Pages
Follow Carpentersville Public Safety on Facebook and Twitter:

FacebookTwitterCode RED